Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Officiating Tennis Needs and Overhaul

I believe that officiating in the game of tennis needs to be overhauled. With officiating being near and dear to me, its difficult for me to watch some of these folks out on the court. I know from experience that if I blow a call on the basketball floor or the football field I will most certainly get booed out of the gym/stadium, but not in tennis. There are physical requirements mandated to officiate other sports, but not in tennis. To watch a man or woman come walking out on the court and sit down in a chair just doesn't seem appropriate. Stand up and and appear to be athletic and interested in what is happening on the court. I think tennis needs mandate some level of fitness for the umpires and do away with the chairs on the court. You don't see a new set of officials coming into a baseball game in the bottom of the ninth inning so why are they sending in new officials mid way through the second set?

I can remember growing up as a child and watching Johnny Mac going ballistic on an blown line call. I'm not condoning his behavior, but he certainly set a standard for the officials that were involved in his match that they had better be on top of their game. The only thing that I wish would have been different about this memory is that the chair umpire would have put Johnny Mac is his place a few more times. In no other sport do you see a player act so unsportsmanlike and stay in the game. Wouldn't it had been great to see a chair umpire toss him out of a match? Just a thought.

I think in all sports officiating that the official must look the part, but more importantly they must prepare for the part. Tennis officials don't seem to trained when they walk out on the court and sit down.

No comments:

Post a Comment