Wednesday, June 16, 2010

World Cup Soccer - Can Tennis Take a Cue?

While I would not call myself a soccer fan I cannot help but be captivated by the World Cup. I am swept up in the media coverage and ride the wave of the infectious, international enthusiasm. I am compelled to watch and find myself looking forward to seeing teams and learning about players that I know absolutely nothing about. There are definitely parts of soccer games that I find unappealing. The games can be downright boring at times with teams playing more defense than offense. The games can end in a tie! Talk about a letdown. And the flopping and generally whiny attitude drives me crazy, as well as the “I am the greatest”, individual celebrations after a goal is scored. But I am willing to accept that as the nature of the sport and watch none the less. I particularly admire the incredible physical shape these athletes are in and the support and camaraderie amongst teammates.

What can tennis learn from this? I would like to hear what you have to say. Here are my observations:

1 – Team events appeal to sports fans. Tennis needs to reconsider team concepts, perhaps including men and women on the same teams.

2 – Every 4 years works for soccer and I think it could work for tennis. There is plenty of tennis going on in the interim and clearing schedules, much as soccer does, to allow a centrally located team competition every 4 years would attract new fans and broaden support for the sport.

3 – Bring all the teams to one location and complete play over one month. The international pageantry around the World Cup, and similarly the Olympics, is a major factor in the contagious enthusiasm. This allows countries to roll out their brand of the sport and allows fans from all around the world to congregate around a common interest. And I have to believe there would be non tennis fans, similar to this non soccer fan, who would tune in.

What are your thoughts?

2 comments: